Sunday, April 13, 2008

“step-over”


Be careful, you shouldn’t touch that! It’s poison oak!

Ooh no, don’t worry, it’s not stinging at all. Look! answers the little boy and rubs one of the leaves between his fingers...

I guess, this incident must have really impressed Rob at todays ‘daddy hike’ to Sunol.
I truly hope the little boy will not to have to go through the same itchy hell.
It is already healing though...

Sure I have to take advantage of my ‘grateful-mom-day’.
When I hike Las Trampas I always have to think how fortunate we are having such a beautiful area ‘right in our backyard’.
On my own, I’m not restricted to Maarten’s favorite creek path.
There is still so much more to explore.

I’ve recently learned that comfrey has a symbolic meaning as an 'all-travelers’-herb'. To be honest I had no idea what comfrey looks like. So I looked it up on the internet and today I see this inconspicuous plant blossoming abound along the ridge trail.

It is very hot today so I’m happy to descend to Sulphur Springs.
Already now in the spring, the creek is almost dry.


I leave the shady trail behind and climb up to a sunny meadow. There are already some poppies next to the path but the meadow up the hill is really dazzling with colorful wildflowers.



Here you stand right across from Mt. Diabloand deep down in the valley is the town of Danville right beneath the steep slope. What a surprising view!

On my way back I discover another shaded creek, a dark and mysterious place. I think of bringing Maarten up here, but climbing and descending steeply all the way back I abandon this idea.


I’m not very happy with the “step-over” gate restricting access for horses and mountain bikers. I don’t mind that they are not allowed to enter these trails.
Yet because of my bad hips I actually have problems stepping over it myself...

No comments: