Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let's Keep Hope Alive

Today is the inauguration of the U.S. president, Barack H. Obama.
We are all full of hope and even though we do not officially belong to this country, U.S. policy always has a huge influence internationally, no matter which country you belong to.
Obama is also the first elected black president. Or was it John Hanson? That doesn't really matter right now.

I was not aware that some may still have a problem with the president's skin colour.
Anyhow just a day before the inauguration the whole country celebrated the achievements of racial unity and harmony in America accomplished by Martin Luther King Jr.

On Sunday night, I watched the movie Crash confronting me with racial prejudice in Los Angeles' neighbourhoods. I didn't choose this particular movie on purpose, bearing in mind this week's events. My sister recently recommended it to me as a 'thrilling movie' and they had it at the local library. Only a coincidence. That's it.

I was shocked and sad at the same time.
I know it's only a movie but there is probably some truth behind it.
Every place has its dark heart, even California. Though till now this state has appeared to me as a paradise for every nationality or race, who lives next to each other in peace and respect.
Just have a look at Maarten's preschool!

There may be some truth about the remark I got a couple of months ago.
Do we really live here in a kind of golden cage not seeing the 'real American life'?

Racism is everywhere.
I don't see it as an American-only problem.
Unfortunately.

No comments: