Tuesday, January 19, 2010

After the snow has melted


Physician visits, daily workouts and all the common stuff around, even the frustrating job interviews... all this is so good to avoid feeling gloomy or blue.

The snow is finally gone. We had so much fun! Only too bad there are no hills for tobogganing. Otherwise it was almost the same way how it used to be when I was a kid.
Every day after school, and even if it was quite late and almost dark, Maarten went straight to the back yard.

This actually hasn't changed much even now without the snow. He is able to amuse himself outside for hours with following tracks in the snow, planting trees, building an Eeyore's house from sticks, preparing soup for the birds or chasing them away.

However, after the snow has melted, even more fun comes!

And the awful knee pain I've experienced since we moved here seems to be 'only' some cartilage injuries.
This means I can finally go out for a jog!
What an idea to take Maarten with me! He would join me, despite the drizzle, on his bike.

We are lucky that we have a great cycling/hiking route on our doorstep, with no traffic to worry about.

Right, the melting snow and heavy rain have filled the potholes in dirt roads.
I tried to keep Maarten out of the mud and puddles at first, but when I saw him having such fun riding through it on his bike I thought, so what?! As long as he keeps moving.
I ignored my parental instincts telling me that doing this on such a cool day was probably not the best idea. But he had an absolute blast speeding through puddles and getting downright filthy.
What I didn't notice that his shoes were also soaking wet!

Maarten is mostly full of joy but biking through deep puddles and muddy potholes was an extreme fun.
Even now, he still keeps talking about it.

Yet, as you probably already suspect, I should have followed my parental instinct. Maarten ended up with a bad cough and an ear infection (which again miraculously lasted only one day!).

Therefore after enjoying the outdoors so vehemently I'm stuck inside again.
As a grass widow with an ill child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jana Hrubá,

Regina here, for ExpatWomen.com.

I would like to personally invite you to list your blog on our Expat Women Blog Directory (www.expatwomen.com/expatblog/) so that other women can read about and learn from your expat experiences.

Many thanks in advance for your contribution and keep up your great blog!

Regina