
The ski trip was fantastic. This shouldn't be that surprising because vacations spent on the ski slopes were always my favorites. But going to the mountains with a kid does involve some more organization and... packing! It is simply impossible to travel with one midsize backpack like I used to years ago.

Even though this is already the 3rd ski season for Maarten I insisted on putting him in the ski school this time. Not because he needed to learn skiing but because it's the most efficient way for him to stay safe.
I believe, even I had to do it in the past myself, that one shouldn't teach his or her child. Especially if skiing supposed to be fun!

Maarten loves skiing but he can use some more discipline on the slope and somehow the teachers do have more authority in that than we do.
While skiing with us, Maarten always thinks we are racing or chasing each other and he would go downhill in a race speed fearless of falling. I was hoping this will change with the age but as he is also getting heavier he goes even faster.
There were other reasons for enrolling him in ski school too. Yes yes! We could ski at our own pace!
But we were also hoping Maarten will enjoy younger ski buddies and get used to the “follow the leader” approach.
Besides, I was convinced that the teachers should have all the patience in the world, compared to me!

Unfortunately, the latest wasn't the case. We actually saw Claudia, Maarten's first day teacher, being angry and even pushing him roughly to the ground, probably out of frustration. He wasn't able to get up and he obviously didn't understand her instructions.
This was one reason I felt a bit guilty leaving him with the ski school instructors who mostly speak only Swiss German.

Afterwards when we picked Maarten up surprisingly he was enthusiastic not only about his first lesson but also about Claudia! On the contrary Claudia insisted on putting Maarten in another class, meaning with another teacher.
You may understand this was quite a relief for me as well.

Since then everything went just perfect. Maarten had fun with friendly Conny's group, and after the ultimate lunch of French fries and sausages we spent the afternoon together on the slopes.

Even though we still don't know the details, Maarten won two medals in 'ski races' during his last lesson. This obviously made his day.
Nevertheless, the only thing was a bit of a downer on this vacation...I had to say Goodbye to my good old ski boots!
Another big piece of plastic broke out somewhere inside and after 23 years of great service I was forced to throw them away at last.
1 comment:
Hoi Jana!
Ben weer even bijgelezen.... wij waren vorige week ook skieen. In Frankrijk. Het was erg leuk! De ESF heeft tegenwoordig ook een Engelstalige afdeling "World Ski Class" en dat was voor Teddie perfect om les te krijgen in het Engels.
Hoe gaat het verder? Ben erg druk geweest de laatste tijd maar zal snel eens een mail sturen en misschien kunnen we een koffie-afspraak ofzo maken?
Groeten Sylvia
Post a Comment