Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The day I stopped drying clothes outside

You can imagine that discussing worms was quite a hot topic among our expat community.

Some people were suggesting considering also the mango worm. I had no idea what it was.

Then someone told a story about a boy who let his sweaty bike helmet outside to dry. Then he put it on again and soon got infected by the larvae of the Tumbu fly, also known as the Putzi or Mango fly!

The local doctor extracted dozens of maggots from his scalp.

The female fly likes to lay its eggs on damp clothing. Therefore while in the tropics it's important not to wear clothes that were drying outside, or they must be ironed so that the heat kills the eggs.

Another story about a wet towel on the beach followed.
Can I say that it was quite disgusting?

But I was very thankful to learn about it and take some precautions.
I'm a very green person but from now on I'm using the dryer again!

2 comments:

Amy @ The Tide That Left said...

Have a great summer back in Europe. Hopefully I'll be a bit more accustomed to this place by the time you get back. Drop me a note when you are and we'll arrange a get together :)

Jana said...

Thank you Amy!
and good luck with your first Angolan weeks :-)