Monday, October 7, 2013

In the beginning of October

We are about to leave for the fall school break and there is so much going on. I have so many plans to realize and now I "have to" leave for a vacation! Tough life of an expat wife!
Anyway, I'd like to post at least some picture's to archive here before I lose everything like I did last year when my computer crashed.
I can't manage to write down all the details, that's too much time consuming. And also my wrists hurt so I'm quite afraid of RSI.
Therefore this post is gonna be more like "say it with pictures".

 
 
Since the beginning of September we're harvesting daily the most delicious passion fruit or maracuja, that's how the locals call it. About a year ago I planted this tiny seedling and today the passion fruit vine grows against beams of the patio and all over the bright yellow wall in front of the living room.

The fruit is not only delicious but also rich source of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber! I wish I can preserve its aroma!

 
 

I know it seems far too early but with the fall break and many other (school) activities the time flies really fast here in Luanda. Therefore we started to solicit donations that we would like to distribute right before the Christmas in the poor neighborhood we try to support.


The slum kids proudly displaying their toy cars made from sardine tins!


Last time the chiefs wife told me that if we will clean up all the garbage the kids will have a really nice place to play! Funny lady!

 


 There is a new "Dutch" family in town with kids M's age! (picture courtesy of Annette and Jac)


M's last year teacher choose this picture for his online portfolio. Maarten couldn't be any happier! (pic courtesy of Mr. Reid) 



Trip to the Mussulo beach.


We took a walk  through the fishing village to the Atlantic side of the peninsula.


This is the best time to spot whales and here they come so close you can watch them from the shore. But we weren't that lucky.

 
 
(Pic courtesy of Annete and Jac)

Fishing Dutchmen.

Canoeing.


Beach volleyball! after some 20 years and more! I hurt all over my body for at least a week but it was fun. Maybe I'll start to play again.


3rd annual Jog-a-thon at Luanda International School. The kids ran to raise money for a local orphanage.

19 laps


Sweaty, tired but happy together.



I finally made it to the São Paulo market to shop for some colorful African fabrics.
It was so overwhelming!

 

Impossible to choose!


Well, I bought some and I've already sewn the most simplest bag! Maarten thought it would be a great library bag. It's little bit too big for him but hey!
I'm starting to get obsessed by sewing. That doesn't mean that I actually can sew! Sometimes I see a lady in the city all covered in sewing supplies; zippers on her head,  ribbons in one hand and a bag with threads in the other. I wonder why I never noticed her before?


Maarten had to make a poster and prepare a presentation about his dream profession.


My "little Czech" knows how to make me laugh!
 

While Rob was in Prague for business (and I was extremely jealous I couldn't join him!) we had some special candlelight evening when the power went down for more than two hours.
Candlelight cooking is not as romantic as it might look.


 
Recently someone told me that Maarten should already know the truth about Santa, Easter Bunny and Sinterklaas....But however, our big boy is still very little and I would hate to destroy his fantastic fantasy world.


All and all I enjoy again my life in Angola as I did before the summer break. I got used to the loud gun shots during the nights and having naked work men in front of my window every late afternoon.   
The only thing I will probably never get used to is to live with all the garbage and pollution, especially the pervasive smell of burning trash and the smoke entering our house!

No comments: