Good bye to the serene reserve!
It took more than one hour drive on the gravel road before we reached the N2 again, which is the main highway along the Indian Ocean coast of the country.
 |
| Breerivier in Malagas |
 |
| We had to cross the Breerivier (Brede River) in Malagas, using the "Pont", old man-powered ferry where pedestrians and vehicles are manually hauled across the river! |
We didn't stay long on the N2 as today we were heading to Swartberg Mountains. We drove the famous Route 62, also known as the Mountain Route. This scenic route took us through Tradough Pass near town of Barrydale, through farming towns of Calitzdorp and Ladismith, it was like in a different world. In the afternoon we finally reached our next lodge located just outside Oudtshoorn on the route to the nearby Swartberg Mountains.
It was too chic for my liking for a stay with Maarten. But there was a beautiful large garden and two pools, they had a friendly big dog and many frogs came up in the evening so no problem at all.
There was an ostrich farm nearby where we did a guided tour. Maarten insisted on riding this huge birds. The tour turned out to be quite interesting and Maarten did ride the ostrich. But did he enjoy the ride?
 |
| Proteas at the junction with GamkasKloof, also known as "Die Hel" |
We drove the Swartberg Pass in the hope we can take a hiking trail up there. But the pass was so narrow and I was really scared only to sit next to Rob who was driving that my legs were all cramped only from imaginary pushing down the brake pedal.
Driving up the mountains you had a breathtaking view of the Cango Valley.
 |
| The top of the Swartberg Pass |
But no place seemed to be really safe to park the car and leave so we drove all the way to the little town of Prince Albert and had a lunch there in a cosy little place with a suitable name Lah di dah.
 |
| almost down |
On our way back I wanted to walk at least down from the top. I enjoyed the walk except of when occasional cars were passing by and I got asked several times if I don't need any help, if I'm all right, etc. One bike driver even told me I can't be well if I prefer walking the mountain instead of driving.
No comments:
Post a Comment