Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunol Loop

Despite the heat it’s time for another hike. Maybe because this is for the very last time before my trip to Europe? Here we have to miss our favorite Diablo Foothills RP where we spent a lot of time last year. But the nearby Sunol Regional Wilderness makes it up quite well. And it’s definitely more secluded than the trails around Walnut Creek.

Leaving Rob and Maarten behind by the creek I’m going for the five-mile Sunol Loop. Starting with a climb along the dried up bed of the Indian Joe Creek I have to think about the documentary I’ve seen last night. Yes, it was about hunting cougars ;-)
Continuing up I forget about the cougar and pay more attention to the beautiful views of the rolling hills and oak studded grasslands.


I finally reach the great boulders of the Cave Rocks and hope the climbing is over soon. Mistake! There is more climbing to come!
I have a feeling someone is watching me. I see an animal ahead of me. Oh no! I throw my bottle of water on the ground with a big bang to scare it off...

…and someone is coming from the other site of the path watching me diffidently.

My potential beast turned to be a fallen dead tree.


There is no shade up there on the summit and the sun is merciless. At least I get some breeze from the bay and… also the view of it! In the distance I see the Oakland harbor and even the skyline of San Francisco.


And you won’t believe that but the dry hills are blossoming up here!

I get finally over the summit and from the Cerro Este Overlook I have this lovely view of the Calaveras Reservoir.


I go down in the direction of Little Yosemite. It’s tempting not to take the shortcut through McCorkle Trail but let’s finish the whole loop.


Otherwise I would miss the last California grizzly bear ;-)


I’m back much sooner than expected and we stay a while at the creek.
Can you guess why?

No comments: