And there is still so much to explore!
Well, one has to find some reason to go out for the weekend again, huh?
We are already early 'en route’ heading to the Sierras. The lakes of Eldorado National Forests are our destination. We don’t have any reservation and hope to still get a space at one of the beautiful lakes.
Approaching Lake Tahoe we recognize the ‘old places’ where we drove last winter in the heavy snowstorm but there is also something weird going on here.
The sky is yellow and we smell the penetrating smoke again. I’m so disappointed.
We decide to look for something in a different area. We continue south on Hwy 89. The air is improving and finally we end up close to Bridgeport.
This is something I’ve planned for the summer vacation in August but being so close we decide to camp at Buckeye Creek. After six miles on a dirt road we finally arrive to this serene place. We are a bit surprised seeing all the campsites at the tent-only loop are unoccupied. It’s so quiet here. Except of the sound of rushing water from the nearby creek then.

It is very hot. So after pitching our tent we all can’t resist the cool bath and ...cold beer.

The serenity of this campground reminds me of our stay at Warner Valley last year.
What a reward after such a long detour drive here.

Bodie, the ghost town, is one of this areas attractions. I would prefer some solitude hiking above strolling among tourist masses. But to see Bodie without the crowds may be an unfulfilled desire of any visitor here.

It’s surprising that the remaining buildings of this once blossoming gold mining town are only five percent of its heyday in the 1880s.
Despite the crowds, I find this place very impressive.
While walking through the old streets and peaking into the old rooms I can’t resist the overwhelming nostalgic feeling.
Yet, there is someone to wake me up and cure me from the melancholy.
I guess, to Maarten this place probably looks like a dry dusty town, even though there are interesting play structures, he is not allowed to climb on them and, they do not even sell ice cream here!

I have to see the graveyard (I have something with those mysterious places) and Maarten insists on joining me. Yet he keeps on wailing and complaining and people look at me as if I'm a ‘krkavčí matka’ (cruel mother). One lady even tries to comfort him: ‘You’re almost there little one.’ But Maarten gives her such a shriek and with his tongue out he runs in a race pace up the hill away from her. I hope the lady understands my ignoring attitude better now.
I know I’ve promised a weekend at a lake to Maarten. I hope I can make it up to him in some way.

Another good side trip from Bridgeport is Mono Lake. Even though I’ve already seen so many beautiful pictures of this lake I’ve never had any desire to visit it. But being at this special place, I’m thankful that Rob insisted on coming here.
There may be other interesting places at the lake. Due to time shortage we only visit the Mono Lake County Park with its boardwalk. Here you can observe the many birds. I recognize only the seagulls.

Actually, most of the California Gulls are born here at Mono Lake. They feed on the millions of brine shrimp and the swarms of black alkali flies on the shoreline (the black fringe in the picture).
Not necessary to explain where the name of the local natives ‘fly eater’ came from...

Those flies are not annoying at all. While walking among them, they move away from you, huge fun for Maarten! Next to chasing the seagulls.

I continue to explore the rest of the reserve. Most of the tourists turn back after getting the first sight of the spectacular spire tufa formations. There is nobody further along the trail and I have all the time to enjoy this scenic place. For the first time I appreciate my hybrid sandals. The water is agreeably warm but to walk on the sharp rocky ground wouldn’t be that pleasant.

It is hot and stuffy. Heavy clouds and thunder promise a nearing storm. We are lucky. Only when we are back in car it starts to rain. Well, rain... only a few drops by Lee Vining.
Mine and Maartens feet are white from walking in the water. Not that strange considering Mono Lake is about 2.5 times as salty and 80 times as alkaline as the ocean!
Sunday morning is time to say good bye to this peaceful campground. It stayed so hot the whole weekend we were not really interested in the nearby hot springs which are supposed to be one of the biggest draw of this place. The ice-cold creek was more fun in this heat.

There are signs warning us of bears, but only the mule deer and tiny chipmunks keep us company.

We are so impressed by Sonora Pass that I completely forget to look for a lake where Maarten can swim at last. Only after Strawberry there should be a lake close to the highway. The sign ‘Pinecrest Resort’ doesn’t promise much solitude and indeed. This wouldn’t be my dream lake.

But do you think Maarten would mind the crowds here?
I only have to think how our weekend would have looked if we had camped at the planned Woods Lake.
No comments:
Post a Comment