Monday, February 9, 2009

Wish Me Luck......

Last Friday at 4:35 I received this short message from Rob:
Kan meteen een beenmerg biopsie doen. Zal pijn doen. Wish me luck......

Suddenly, even though I tried very hard I couldn't pay attention to Maartens babbling...
===

I always wanted to be a mother, but for a long time it seemed this wish would stay unfulfilled.
The longing for a baby was so bad that I even exclaimed once I'd give ten years of my life for a baby!
Does this sound too foolish?

I became a mother after all. My beautiful son is most precious to me.
And naturally I forgot about my 'blasphemous' remark from before until...

Last summer we were required to take a preventive medical examination.
Only an annoying routine, I thought then.

As expected Maarten was all right. Great!

Rob and I had to have additional tests, just to be sure.
And then another one...

After a couple of exams we were pretty relieved that Rob's kidneys aren't in as bad condition as the result suggested. If you knew my father-in-law you would probably understand why.
There was only something wrong with Rob's blood. Nothing to worry about.

My liver seemed to be in bad condition. More exams followed and finally the liver ultrasound was done to confirm or exclude cancer.
Suddenly I recalled my 'blasphemy' and was extremely relieved to hear my liver is healthy.
The result brought me even some comfort. At last I know why I get so easily tired.

But for Rob it was not over yet.
He went from one exam to another. They kept excluding all kinds of disorders untill finally there was one scary possibility left.



Only a reminder: It was me who wanted to pay for the baby!!!

1 comment:

Matthew Bamberg said...

Cool blog. Check out my book at http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Photo-Opportunities-San-Francisco/dp/1598638009