The neighborhoods we've lived in are rather sterile. You won't spontaneously meet people on the street, I'm not talking about making friends.
The life in this country is made around cars after all.
Everyone would come home drive into their garage and you would not see them unless they are leaving again in the morning. The most interaction with the neighbors for the most part is through waves.
Today I was asked to join a church. This is not the first time this has happened. Always before, I had resolutely refused this offer. I wouldn't have even thought of it.
With the exception of a short pause after the Velvet Revolution, I have always considered myself to be an atheist, even though with my own spirituality and beliefs.
But somehow now I give it a little more thought than usual.
I have to admit that so far in my 'American' life I still miss the community feeling which I grew up with.
And the church promises friendly community and fun for the children.
But should an atheist join a church?
2 comments:
Are you sure you were being asked to "join" a Church or to attend a Church? Most Christian Churches are pretty, um, conscientious about making sure those who "join" adhere to a certain set of beliefs. Anyone can attend of course but joining is a significant committment.
I wasn't a Christian until I was thirty years old, but I know what you mean about the community. When I meet with brothers and sisters in Christ it is soooo much deeper than the relationships I had in my pre Christian days. Of course I'm more mature now but I don't think my friendships would have been this foundational, this authentic, this vulnerable, this exciting and interesting and invigorating if they weren't based on our relationship with Jesus.
Good luck on your journey
Please blog away what your decision will be or about an experience going to church. I'm also an expat and I have had similar thoughts about joining a church to meet people and yo get a sense of a community, but I have several reservations about converting etc. Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.
Post a Comment