Only a shame that some have a little understanding and obviously can't imagine what an overseas moving like ours practically means. Besides of that, not a bit of interest in our Californian life. That makes me sad.
But over this subject has already been written a lot.
I guess, to expect understanding from friends and family who have not moved far or at all from where they grew-up will probably bring only frustrations.

And, please, don't ask me, if I'm happy to be 'home' again! Yes, I've lived in Belgium before, but the Lys region, even though a very pretty area, is completely new for me. So no, I'm not feeling like coming home again. It may be the same Europe I've left four years ago, but I've definitely changed. Or has everything changed and the things I liked are now gone?
And no, I'm not talking about the reacclimatizing to the wet and dark Belgian winter!
I know I'm probably too soon for conclusions but till now I have found it very difficult to "settle-in". I have the feeling that only other returning ex-pats can understand.
While unavoidably I miss things and people from my life in California, at the same time I am aware of all the frustrations I had while living there. Similarly, when I was in California, I missed Holland, Czech and even Belgium but was also aware of all the less pleasant aspects of life here.
Even if you're not aware of it, it changes you every time you move internationally. You're not the same person anymore, so you shouldn't expect to be at ease with all the same.
Therefore it’s hard to find 'your place' when you hold different values in life.
However, I don't want to end up like some of the frustrated ex-pats who don't really feel like they belong anywhere.
So, please, give me a little more time.
No comments:
Post a Comment