Wednesday, August 17, 2011

About daydreamers and injuries


After weeks spent behind the PC trying to arrange all necessary documents for the Angolan visa, we were excited to go out on the hills of Wallonia again. As soon as we left the village of Grand Monchau and took the grassy path between fields Rob suddenly fell down moaning in pain.
This was the end of our long desired family outing!

Rob severely twisted his ankle and later at the emergency room the X-ray showed a ligament injury as well as a small bone chip.

So, there goes our hiking trip to Slovak mountains!

Rob's got the below-knee cast to wear for at least two weeks. Even though he is moving around well with the crutches we hope his ankle is healing on schedule so he can progress to walking boot by the end of this week.

As I’m not such a good nurse, luckily, there was no blood this time and I can manage handing crutches, ice packs or coffee quite easily.


Other issue is to keep Maarten in safe distance from Rob’s ankle.
Maarten is such a fantasy-rich child and I love to watch him build houses for hedgehogs and squirrels in our backyard and gnome dwellings in the woods.
He can weave never-ending stories about his future life on an island catching sharks and riding dolphins.

But sometimes his fantasy filled imagination is kind of dangerous. Like Friday afternoon while biking together he decided he doesn’t need his eyes. At first I thought he is not serious but before I could even warn him not to do anything such stupid he crashed into me at full speed. I flew over the handlebars and landed on my face. I realized Maarten is somewhere under the two bikes but incredibly, he didn’t have a scratch! I noticed a car that stopped right in front of us. My right calf bone was killing me as well as the right ankle. In an awful pain and furious I managed to get Maarten’s handlebars out of my front wheel and got us off the road.

I’d rather spare you the juicy details for now as I'm off to garden enjoying lunch with my special company.

No comments: