A Dutch - Czech family in Angola: This blog is about daily life adventures and about whatever happens to cross my mind.
Monday, September 3, 2012
Back to normal
Luckily we didn’t notice anything of the demonstrations organized throughout the country by the opposition party. Last Thursday I went to the supermarket to hoard food and water for 2 weeks for any unforeseen occurrence, as recommended.
This wasn’t the best time to go. Due to the election on Friday most stores were closed therefore the supermarket was extremely busy as expected. Also Maarten had two days off. What a challenge to keep him away from all the $$$ candies! Anyway. Lately, he claims to be a camel that doesn’t need to drink all the time when I bother him with a glass of water, begging him and warning about dehydration and the other unpleasant side effects. Well, speaking of which, it started itching again just when we joined the endless queue. Screaming, jumping, crying, yelling… everybody was looking at Maarten who got really hysterical holding his pants.
Many pointed the direction of the restrooms and I had to explain several times that no, he doesn’t need to go. Other kind ladies arranged for us that we could go straight to the cashier. I wasn’t feeling comfortable leaving the pregnant women and moms holding their tiny babies behind as the security made place for us to jump the queue.
When we finally got out of this crazy place I tried to call Bernardo to locate him (or us) on the parking lot. But! He wouldn’t pick up his phone! Because of the loud music in the supermarket and hundreds of people, he didn’t hear his phone. I went back to the security and asked to call him over the public address system. It took a while but finally they got permission and called Bernardo over the loudspeakers.
Friday the Angolans voted. All Angolans have right to vote therefore also our drivers had Friday off and we had to remain in or around our residence.
It felt strange.
I was really glad when all went back to normal and we could head (at least) for the beach again.
Maarten traditionally spent the day fishing and hunting for any kind of sea creatures.
In the late afternoon we embarked together with the beach stuff and some other expats to cross the bay back.
We were more than half way when the boat started slowing down. I thought it’s because of the big waves being a little surprised by sudden kindness of the captain. Usually we bounce and shake around in the waves.
We will probably never find out what exactly happened. The captain said we didn’t run out of fuel but you never know.
After half an hour other boat came to rescue us and we safely reached the shore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment