Friday, September 28, 2012

Power, cakes and tomatoes

The last family just moved into our compound. Maybe that’s the reason for the permanent power outages because the generator cannot handle his load anymore. The whole neighborhood is without power because the owner didn’t pay his bills and supposedly it will take days or weeks to conquer the local bureaucracy.
Today Maarten’s school was closed because of the teacher’s workday. We went together to the supermarket which I really hate.
But it has to be done anyway and I also wanted to look at their cakes. I heard about the horrifying prices and recently heard about a birthday cake for 1300 US$!
I have quite some time to master baking it myself before Maarten’s birthday but I still hope I will find something more affordable. I also have to mention that today I bought tomatoes! For the very first time here in Luanda! Well, it may not sound like a big deal, and yes, I could buy them earlier but this time they also looked edible, meaning weren’t rotten already at the store.

No comments: