Tuesday, October 23, 2012

18 - 23 Oct: Ankarana - Nosy Komba - Johannesburg - Luanda

In the morning we had the opportunity for further exploring of the Ankarana National Park. We went for a walk right from our camp. The lake, facing the Tsingy massif, on which edge was our camp located, was a natural site of a stunning beauty.
We were advised not to touch the water because of the danger of bilharzia, a parasitic infection, but according to Clement it shouldn’t be of any danger for the local villagers. I wonder! A little boy was washing dishes right in the lake.
At last we spotted the delightful Madagascar Kingfisher.
Rob found this snake in the dry mud.
It was getting very hot again therefore we were excited to enter this cool dark cave on the other side of the lake. It wasn’t any touristic attraction. This was actually a sacred cave. The local people actually buried their ancestors here. I wasn’t feeling very comfortable knowing that but Clement assured us it’s O.K. to enter here. Next to many bones and gifts for the dead, there was a big pile of sandbags. Clement explained that even though it’s illegal people still look there for gold.
It was time to get in the car again as we had to reach the coast this afternoon.
Along the way we stopped at Clement’s home town to visit a market. I wanted to look at the African fabrics but I was not very successful.
It was very busy and very hot and I was not in the mood for shopping, well, I rarely am. I never enjoy the crowds.
We drove along coffee, cocoa and sugar cane plantations and bought some spices from the farmers. (Maarten with Clement and Sebastien with jackfruit.)
In Ankify there was already a boat waiting for us and we had to say goodbye to Clement and Sebastien. I did not enjoy the boat ride to the little island of Nosy Komba. I was quite scared because the speed boat went far too quick and extremely bumpy but Maarten had a blast. At the same time he was quite exhausted and reacted a bit too hysterical to the heavy bounces.
I was glad when we finally saw this little paradise. At the end of our trip to the mainland after having spent previous days tramping through rainforest and dusty bush coming to place like this was a real treat.
Our very private villa was just the icing on the cake. We almost felt like we were the only ones there. So relaxing!
The location was stunning; the villas were built on a steep hillside in a tropical garden between forest and beach providing excellent views over the ocean.
This volcanic island is much quieter than the touristier Nosy Be and is therefore very suitable for everyone who is looking for a pristine destination. For me!!
There was a small snorkeling reef one bay along from the hotel which was easily accessible by foot or canoe.
Maarten enjoyed watching the colorful fishes till he realized how deep he was and that sharks may come. He panicked and started to cry when he saw the big sea urchins.
But later he was glad to return to the sea and he considered this snorkeling experience to be the highlight of this trip.
Of course also on the islands there is a variety of wildlife. We shared the place with many colorful geckos. This one loved to drink from our foot bath.
This tiny gecko joined us for breakfast to see if he can snaffle some cake crumbs.
The food cooked by the French chef was exceptional, especially the sea food, and Maarten was (and still is) lyrical about their breakfast.
We walked on the beach to the closest village which is just 5 minutes away.
The locals were very friendly and relaxed. pp
I would like to forget about the rest of our trip, namely the last 2 days and 3 flights (one 6 hours delayed) we suffered and keep only remembering the stay at this island, so back to nature, so beautiful, romantic and fun.
I miss it already.

No comments: