Monday, October 1, 2012

I tried and now I know

Despite all warnings, I was being stubborn, insisted I had to walk to the school for exercises on my way to fulfill my bus mom duty. And yes I know there is a brand new air-conditioned gym right next door. But the truth is I miss my freedom to walk everyday outside wherever I want to just like in places I lived before. And to get to Maarten’s school it’s only 3.6 km.
Sadly, I have to admit, that walking on the streets of Luanda Sul is really not fun. I found it quite safe and rather boring. There is not much to see and no adventure to find. The cars are choking the same amount of black fumes like in the city and the strong odors from urine, feces and rotten garbage made me feel sick at moments. There is no shade so walking in full sun with a temperature around 40 °C and crossing a street with traffic comparable to that of the highway probably would kill me anyway.

1 comment:

gentenaar said...

Dearest Jana
What a bag of stories and adventures that you have shared. Truly I think you are such an amazing mother and women! I know for a fact that whatever does not kill you, will only make you stronger! From Maarten fainting and to him missing for an hour or so - i dont think i cant even stomach all of that. I would have gone mad, packed up and gone home!

It's autumn here in Belgium. I still work for VIB, in a biomedical lab. I am about to jump into a full professional course in Dutch about working in a lab for animal testing. Top that, I have just signed up for some Dutch lessons as well. I dont know how I will handle and juggle it all between ferrying Nora from school, art class, drama class and all that household chores but I shall do my best! = ) Women like yu gives me the extra push I need with my own challenges in life; Thanks for sharing all of it Jana. I for one, appreciate it vety much.

Hugs
Mush