Saturday, November 3, 2012

Below our home

There is a little river that runs through our neighborhood down in the valley below our compound.
That’s where the farmers get water to irrigate their land to grow crops. Someone was standing knee deep in the river busy with fixing the water pump so I asked him if there are in crocs. Very big ones! He laughed.
Their vegetable fields were impressive
and so were the huge baobabs.
Those two guys asked me to take a picture of them. I said I didn’t have any money with me but they didn’t care as long as I bring them their picture next time. When they started with questions like if I had a husband I knew I’d better catch up with my boys. Anyway, they were undoubtedly very proud of their own appearance.
Do you see the yellow houses with red roofs? Well, that's our compound!
Then we had to leave the farmlands continuing along the river to get to a certain bridge where our driver was hopefully waiting. It’s often quite difficult to find directions and agree on pick-up location because there are basically no signs or official names to most of the places.
To cross the river there was a little footbridge where children from the adjacent neighborhood were playing amid the floating garbage.
You would almost think the river was cleaner up here.
But it wasn't. And no one would really care.
At least now we know where the suffocating smoke is coming from.
The lush and green of the riverbanks form a big contrast with the surrounding built-up areas.
Native plants hang heavy with mango, banana and papaya. Walking here almost makes you forget that you are still in Luanda Sul.
Untill you come out of the greenery back to reality.

No comments: