A Dutch - Czech family in Angola: This blog is about daily life adventures and about whatever happens to cross my mind.
Friday, November 2, 2012
Não tenho problema: an attempted trip to the Kwanza River
This was the first time we could set our foot out of the “safe” region. I was very excited very curious how Angola looks outside of the city.
But when a car crashed into us while entering the rotary nearby our compound I knew today won’t be much fun. The driver behind us was busy with his cell phone.
There wasn’t any damage to our car at least our driver told us so.
We finally conquered the heavy traffic and continued to the south.
The scenery wasn’t anything spectacular; dry red- brown rolling hills with some (baobab) trees scattered around this sparse landscape.
We got a nice view of the Mussulo peninsula.
We saw piles of white sand and machines working on the new coastal road, fishermen drying salted fish on the beach and omnipresent street vendors.
I was busy with taking pictures when I noticed that our car was slowing down.
There was a group of police officers and our driver was asked to pull over and stop the car. I was glad I returned home to bring our passport copies with us. But I noticed there was something more going on between our driver and the officer so I did my best to understand their conversation. I could sense something wasn’t right. But B assured us with his usual não tenho problema and stepped out of the car to speak with the police aside. I understood there is some problem about the date in B’s license but couldn’t get the details. B returned to the car and told us that we have to drive to the police station but again não tenho problema. Right! I knew this was the end of our trip. On our way to the station the police car stopped again and they discussed the matter again and again.
Then we arrived at the station, a small blue building with its back to the sea and an armed guard at the entrance. B was urged to park the car in their courtyard and we must remain in the car. Actually, the whole time no one would even look at us. We preferred that.
The officers were walking around talking to B and he made many phone calls. Then he returned to the car wiping sweat from his forehead asking us for money.
I thought they probably ask him for a bribe telling Rob to call the security immediately. B went almost on his knees begging us not to do so.
So we paid the bribe but it still wasn’t enough. Later we were asked to leave the police terrain and the same car accompanied us to the main road. That’s where they accepted the bribe.
We were released after all but were not in mood to continue our trip. B’s papers were obviously not in order and what if the police will control us again?!
I only wanted to make a quick stop at the craft market in Benfica that we were passing. It was quite disappointing.
The vendors weren’t aggressive as I heard from the other expats they were actually quite friendly but there wasn’t much more than what I’ve seen at our International Club monthly meetings.
Besides of that I was quite disgusted seeing there real leopard skins, turtle shells and ivory carvings for sale.
PS: At least my first chocolate cake ever was a success! even though it did'nt look very appealing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment