Friday, November 30, 2007

Friendship Soup/Holiday Tree-Lighting

It smells so nice when I enter Maarten’s classroom this morning. At the same moment I realize I forgot about the Friendship soup today. And I even forgot that Maarten should have brought celery. Miss Robin asks if I will join them for the soup at eleven but I still have so much to do at our old address.
I’m finished earlier than planned and I arrive on time at the school. The teachers made the classroom so cozy. All the little chairs and tables are decorated with pumpkins, muffins and crackers. The soup is indeed delicious and Maarten can’t stop to eat. He eats his muffin all the crackers and tree cups of soup. And he wants more but we are already the only ones at the table for a while. I can experience their story time and part of other activities and their class routines. We are so lucky Maarten attends just this preschool. I speak to another mom who commutes almost an hour to bring her son to this particular school. I wonder if I would do the same. Luckily for us it’s only a 5 minutes drive.

Today is a big holiday celebration with Santa at the Bishop Ranch, the place where is Rob’s office situated. I’m not sure if we should go there. It is in the evening, I’m so tired from the moving hassle, Maarten protests to meet Santa, Rob has to work late …
We go anyway since everybody promises it’s going to be a spectacle. When we arrive Maarten is already in the holiday spirit.

He loves everything: the spectacular lightning, the children from local schools singing Christmas songs, the beautiful illuminated Christmas tree and the refreshments of course.

And beside of all this we meet daddy there for a while who has to work late tonight.
We are waiting for the Santa. Than there he is. He arrives in a horse drawn sleigh. When Maarten spots him he shouts out: ‘Mikuláš!’ and pushes himself through the crowd to join the holy man. Together with one of the security ladies we catch him just at the staircase to the stage.

He doesn’t mind to sit at Santa’s lap even he looks a little stiff ;-)

No comments: