I hoped to find gardens there like the ones at Heathers Farms in Walnut Creek but there are actually just small community garden plots here. And there is more behind the gardens. Here you can access the Crow Creek and its surrounding greenery. You could nearly forget you are still in the busy town.
I feel someone is watching us and then I see the big birds in the tree above us. I guess they are vultures. They are so close and, considering their size, they make me feel a bit uncomfortable.
They are not happy with our presence either and soon they take off.
The weather is still not stable yet. Sunshine changes with rainy and stormy days so you never know how the weather will be the next day.
I was planning a more challenging hike in the Santa Cruz Mountains for this Saturday.
I think Rob was relieved to hear my friends may join me. But the weather forecast was so bad we decided to cancel.
But Rob and Maarten would go for their Saturday ‘daddy’ hike rain or shine. And despite the heavy rain in the early morning we get plenty of sunshine later that day.

So while the ‘boys’ are enjoying the redwoods near Oakland I take the risk of possible rain and head to Marin again. This time to check out Cataract Falls.
We’ve been here before and it was very crowded then. This is an extremely popular trail. So it's best to come early in the morning to be sure to get a spot because of the very limited parking.
It looks like the bad forecast scared off most of the outdoor fans. I don’t meet any other cars all the way to Alpine Lake and there is also nobody at the trailhead!

Later I meet a few people when I’m returning down again. I’m delighted to enjoy all the beauty in complete solitude.
At first I have to think of the weather forecast and my waterproofs I forgot at home. But here also the sky clears up soon.
After the rainy days the falls are well filled and I find some new pools we had missed the last time. Maybe because especially the pools were occupied by picnicking crowds then.
Some claim this shaded and wooded canyon with its falls when the sun comes through the dense trees to have a Hawaii-like atmosphere. I can’t judge that but anyhow it is really beautiful here.

However there is a little disappointment that day.
The battery in my camera is low so I can’t take any pictures of the last part of the falls.
A good reason to come back again!
~~~
Despite living so close to ‘the city’ we visit San Francisco very rarely. Mostly only when there is a particular reason to do so, like having visitors or visiting someone.

This Sunday we meet there with my cousin from New York. It is already six (?) years ago when Gina visited us in Holland. Her business trip to San Francisco this week is a great opportunity to meet her and her boyfriend Ryan. Yet Maarten is behaving pretty weird. He is trying to get Gina’s attention all the time and I’m not sure if she appreciates his way of ‘flirting’ with her.

Well, I believe we should visit ‘the city’ more often. Considering his behavior today, Maarten has turned out to be a real country boy and his social development may use a bit of the ‘city’s culture’ as well.
1 comment:
Post a Comment