Monday, March 10, 2008

Donner Canyon, Mt. Diablo SP


I know we are quite late, but as I remember our last trip to Donner Falls they were still flowing in mid May.
It is already two years ago when we were here for the first time. We found that first trip pretty difficult with Maarten in the back carrier and the temperature in the high nineties.
Today it is quite warm despite the bad weather forecast and considering it is only early spring.

Maarten hasn’t use the back carrier for several months already but this doesn’t mean he can manage a 6 mile trip by himself.
Though I believe he might be able to, but also today there are some paths he would not enjoy, I'm sure.


Everything is still so nice and green.
The bubbling creek off to the left adds a nice atmosphere to the enjoyable, slightly climbing road with the view of the imposing Mount Diablo in the background.

After about a mile and a half where the creek crosses the trail we stop to have lunch. From here I continue up on my own. Maarten is delighted of course. Now he can finally completely enjoy the tempting creek.

The first 'mile' to get up to the Falls Trail is quite strenuous and I’m happy I didn’t insist we all go up the hill. I keep looking around since there are nice views in all directions.

Looking back to the north there is the Bay with its surrounding towns. As I continue deep in the canyon I recognize the old places and have to think of our previous trip here. The place we had lunch, the scarce shady places where we tried to hide from the merciless sun, where Maarten was playing in the water (and where we had to wash him since we forgot an extra diaper)...so many memories! I have to cross the streams several times and I think of Maarten. He would love the small path and wading in the water a lot.
But I’m sure he would hate to climb the steep and dry dirt road up. Who knows, maybe next time.

O.K., now about the waterfalls. They are not that spectacular.
But the whole canyon is such a beautiful setting. The creek is greatly hidden in the exuberant vegetation so you don’t see it all the time but you hear the gurgling and splashing water all over the place.
I should be here right after the rainy winter but no need to complain.

I believe this place is stunning in just about any season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.