
After a long drive to Juniper Lake it is good to stretch your legs.
Right next to our campsite a trail heads to the summit of nearby Mount Harkness.
It’s a pretty climb and I’m surprised how well Maarten is doing. We are huffing and puffing up the trail but he runs all the way and finds looking for the trail markers a huge amusement. Also the switchbacks are a lot of fun. Good!

When we leave the forest behind, Juniper Lake comes into view.
The last part of our climb leads along an exposed and steep slope. Read = boring for Maarten.
‘Maminko, Tvoje nožičky už nechodi...’ (Mommy, your legs don’t walk anymore... Maarten starts to complain.
Luckily the lonely fire lookout tower atop the mountain is already in sight. We are surprised to see someone up here. Wendy, the friendly volunteer, invites us into her ‘home’. Yes, that’s right; she stays up here for four days watching the forested slopes for signs of fire. Then she’s off for another ten days. What a dream ‘job’!

The views in all directions are amazing, but unfortunately it’s quite hazy this afternoon.

In the evening, back at the camp, it's still hot and we are ready to plunge in the lake.
Shock! The water is really freezing.
The trail around Juniper Lake is mostly a level walk with beautiful views of the lake. But after two miles it leaves the shore and only now we can really learn how tiring yesterday's climb was for Maarten. The boys return to the lake. I continue and hope to reach Horseshoe Lake farther in the backcountry.
Even though I truly desire to see a bear in the wild I prefer not to encounter one on a solo hike. I’m a little nervous when the boys leave me but this unpleasant feeling soon disappears.

I’m passing several swamps and small lakes full of pond lilies.
Finally, I reach Indian Lake.
I meet two friendly backpackers there who warn me about bad fishing.
It’s only another mile to reach Horseshoe Lake but I decide to 'save' that for another time. At least I have a reason to come back here again.
The hike to Crystal Lake is supposed to be ‘a killer’. It is pretty steep, but it’s only a short trip and with all the trail markers is fun again for Maarten. Two disappointed fishermen leaving the lake and they are surprised to see other people here. That’s a good sign.

From the cliffs above the lake, the view of Mt. Lassen and Juniper Lake is stunning... it is clear today.

Crystal Lake isn’t as warm 'as promised' but it really is warmer than the much larger Juniper Lake we are camping at.

I’ve hoped to find another trail from here but there is none; so we end up spending the whole day at this beautiful spot.

About the camping at the lake.
I love this area and also this place isn’t disappointing. On the contrary. The campground right on the lakeshore is a gem. Even though it’s still a part of Lassen Volcanic National Park it is far enough from the busy park highway so there is not any traffic noise that could disturb you.
You can camp right on the shore and the lakefront sites are obviously the prettiest but with not much privacy.

We prefer the opposite so we camped back in the forest.
More solitude and therefore more chance to view wildlife.
Though no bear sighting as usual; only (also as usual) a herd of deer coming in the early mornings and evenings to the meadow adjacent to our campsite .
No comments:
Post a Comment