Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Pilates Class

I have become addicted to Pilates.
Every day I will roll out my purple mat to do my '10 minutes solution' and every week I look forward to my morning class.
But that's not what I want to write about.

It's about my class, or rather, about my classmates.
There are about fifteen girls in our class.
We have already been meeting for at least half a year but our class is still very quiet.
Completely quiet actually.
No one says a word to each other.

When someone enters the room there is no 'Good Morning' or 'How are you?', 'Hi', or anything similar.
Even our instructor, whom I like a lot, will enter the room and start directly with her class.

Only I kept coming with my stubborn and pretty loud 'Good Morning', just to be sure they could hear me.
This resulted now and then in a shy smile or nodding.
I've grown accustomed to their stillness at last.

Their behaviour still surprises me especially considering the omnipresence of politeness and friendly social intercourse.
Is there something wrong about our class or is there still a lot left to learn about the American culture?

4 comments:

light and fast said...

Hi Jana,
It seems that people in your pilates class are not very social - including the teacher. I'm actually surprise to read this. In yoga classes I have attended, the teacher has always been very nice and friendly. The 'regulars' usually say at least hi to each other.

But what happened to me several times... I came to the office in the morning, said 'good morning' and didn't get any response. When I explained to my colleagues that it's very rude in the country I'm coming from, it has never happened again.

Jana said...

Yes, Vendula, it is very surprising, especially in this country.

And there is definitely some similarity with your colleagues' behaviour ;-)

Serendipity said...

Hey!!! I used to take pilates in San Ramon. They are quiet right?? I was curious where can I go to get certified as a pilates instructor.. do you know???

Serendipity said...

We should start our own pilates biz. We could travel around to businesses and be instructors together!!!