Saturday, July 4, 2009

Roadkill

I remember my relatives in New York shaking their heads when they heard about my flight back to Europe on the 4th of July.
Then, I didn't understand.

Now I know better.
While living in this country we've learned that during this particular weekend our home is probably the best place to relax.
Unless you don't mind to deal with large crowds and heavy congestion of course.

Most of the people are out of town to celebrate this America's favorite holiday.
Compared to all campgrounds, hotels, beaches, parks and other popular places, our neighborhood looks rather abandoned.


Also today during my daily bike ride I don't encounter anyone.
I mean anyone alive.
Only dead animals along the road. Usually I see dead raccoons, squirrels or skunks. You probably know what happens when skunks are frightened or cornered. I've noticed they release the foul-smelling fluid also when they get killed!

Another 'strange' odor hit my nose early this week. This smell really made me gag. Poor little fawn.

About one mile further something pretty large wrapped in carpet lied right on the shoulder. There was a big threatening sign attached to it. I didn't feel like approaching it and I caughed only 'Whoever did this, you are...'.

On my way back someone couldn't restrain his curiosity and partly removed the carpet.
Awful sight!
Loads of predatory flies were surrounding the corpse.
Obviously someone hit this big deer and he or, maybe someone else driving by, chopped the deer's head right off!
Now the wrapping was removed, you couldn't help but notice, it had no head!
How gross!!!
Is this the way you claim a deers head?! Who would make a trophy of roadkill?

I've called the Animal Control and now the carcasses are removed.

The place stays haunted by the headless deer, but as for me, I'd better go now and join the partying folks!

1 comment:

Media.assistant said...

Hi Jana,

I wanted to give you the heads up since this seemed up your alley for your blog. We are gearing up to launch a new website called Sierra Club Trails. It's (as far as we know) the first-ever comprehensive hiking wiki...A website where anyone can post their favorite hikes and anyone else can edit the descriptions so that the trails are constantly up-to-date. The site is up and running in a beta test now, and we're planning to launch it this Thursday, July 9th - so I wanted to make sure you were in the loop.

www.sierraclubtrails.org

What makes this site unique is that it's a wiki - i.e. anyone can update or edit the trails that are posted. So if I post a trail in, say, Yosemite, and you've been there recently and saw that part of the trail is really muddy, or the bugs are bad this time of year, or if camping spots are getting really popular and should be reserved in advance, you can update that.

In addition to hiking and paddling trails, the site also features tips for hikers, a birding blog, photo contests, and Nature Notes, a series of audio features based on interviews with naturalists and Sierra Club Outings leaders. Sierra Club Trails is also an online community where users can create profiles and meet other hikers and nature-lovers, as well as join discussion forums with topics like the best trail mix recipe or whether guns should be allowed in national parks. Community members can form groups around a particular outdoor interest or place.

Does this sound like something you'd be interested in covering for your blog?

The link is www.sierraclubtrails.org - and the logo is on Flicrk here - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2604/3701119013_84723f28d9.jpg

Thanks!

Natalie Gaber
Sierra Club
85 Second Street, Second Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 977-5526
media.assistant@sierraclub.org