Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Student Led Conference at LIS


Last week I was called by Maarten's school. At first I thought he had an accident why else they would call me? But I was urged to sign in for the Student Led Conference. I had no idea what is it about and also why it is so important that they would even call me home to not forget signing in.
There was also a session for parents on Friday afternoon to practice for the occasion! I couldn't attend and it made me a little nervous. What is it going to be about? Why so much hassle?
Maarten was relaxed as always, no problem.
Today in the classroom he grabbed his little booklet to check all the activities we needed to go through.
He showed me his portfolio, his and his classmates self-written books, the classroom book of stories, their own classroom pet Ted Dancin'...
  I also took some pictures of their bulletin board showing building floats and egg drop activities.
 Most of the kids in his classroom speak other languages and they were challenged "rewriting" The 3 little pigs story in their own language. Maarten wrote in Dutch and he did quite well.
 We got stuck at the Money Game that he wanted to play again and again. 
He also showed me around his Portuguese class, EAL class, art class, music class, computer class, but we secretly skipped his PE room.  Maarten's tour ended up lasting for more than 3 hours instead of planned 1  hour!  He was so excited to show me everything he has done.


Class pet

Maarten's book
 
self-written books
 
float a boat challenge
 
building airplane
 
egg drop challenge
 
The 3 little pigs in Dutch
 
Money game
 
Maarten's contribution to the classroom book
 
unit of inquiry
 
"Koulik"
picture on M's art folder, he didn't like this pic calling himself Koulik

The Dot
from M's art folder

in the music classroom

reading levels chart

No comments: