A Dutch - Czech family in Angola: This blog is about daily life adventures and about whatever happens to cross my mind.
Friday, March 15, 2013
Wanna help? Please comment!
After a hot shower I'm sitting in our luxury air conditioned dwelling watching the storm and rain pouring down. I have to think about the people who live in the shoddy shacks . Despite we live so close to each other how different our lives are!
Today during our visit at "the ghetto" we were literally washed away by the heavy rain. I don't like to call the little neighborhood that way but that's how the locals do.
I've mentioned here already those peoples sad history. Their homes were cleared to make way for new luxury property to house Angolan tiny middleclass that can afford it.
We visit there every week. Their miserable existence seemingly get's none attention from the provincial government so we try to help them where we can. For the future we hope to arrange mosquito nets, I know how ambitious this sounds!
So far we are only able to focus on helping them with education and literacy for the kids. We usually do some crafts with the children, play games, read books or teach them a little bit of English. This is the nice part that I truly enjoy.
But our stay there is not always as lyrical as it may sound. Many times a heavy fight emerges not only between the kids but also between their moms. It's very sad to see that but that's their way of life, they always need to fight for even a very little.
We try to collect donations and bring them some food and water every week but distributing stuff usually ends in a fierce fight and bitter tears.
That's why today we went there exceptionally without having anything to hand out hoping to avoid causing chaos again.
I was a little afraid to see them being disappointed by not receiving at least their usual cookie or cracker but suddenly it started to rain and storm that entirely washed all my worries away.
We usually bring old cardboard boxes to sit on and write on. Obviously, there are no tables or chairs to use during our crafts or learning activities or while playing games.
Today when the rain started I quickly collected the cardboard in the hope to save it from the rain. The children were initially helping me but everybody spontaneously sought shelter from the rain under the lifted cardboard sheets.
Then they all started to laugh, sing and dance.
Such a warm moment.
PS: We are working on several projects to improve their lives and we are permanently looking for donations of any type, food, water, (old) clothing, household goods, recycled paper, old pens, crayons…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Jana
Your stories & adventures never fail to amuse, amaze, educate and humble me. I have been coming regularly but so shameful to admit I havent had the time to write you a proper well deserved comment ; ) Please keep writing, because like me, i think there are many of us out there that come to your blog so regularly. I admire your spirit and determination. I think living in such a country, every little bit helps and encourage especially for the children. Your lovely son will grow up with abundance of culture and a very open mind. Lucky kid ; )
In Ghent - I am sure you know, after a week of lovely spring sunny blue skies weather, mother nature got mad at us again and blessed us with tons of snow! I love winter so i dare not share my enthusiasm but i feel for my country men. My family, friends and colleagues were cursing at the weather Gods, I just nod and pity them and sympathise. Well, i best get off the computer, bedtime for Nora! Have a superb weekend Jana!x
Post a Comment