Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It’s all about amphibians and reptiles!


I was really nervous about picking Maarten up from school. All the teachers were looking at me with pity and the children were shouting over one another that Maarten knocked out his front teeth. And then Maarten walked out of his classroom grinning from ear to ear.
That afternoon I was horrified by my imagination how would he look like without the teeth but seeing his happiness shining through his toothless mouth I could only sigh with relief.
I could see he was enjoying tremendously all the special attention he got from the school staff and other kids.
He bite his lip and it was still pretty swollen but again there were no tears.
What happened?


At recess they played a self-invented game Slangetje en jongetje (Dutch for "little snake and little boy"). The little snake was blinded trying to catch the little boy and bumped against the wall.
No need to ask who invented this game!




Namely, the last couple of weeks Maarten is obsessed with amphibians and reptiles.
He received clics building blocks for his birthday and he loves to create various creatures but mainly snakes. Together with other toy frogs, turtles, lizards… they play, eat and sleep together and every day he asks me if I was treating them nicely while he was at school.


Last Sunday we scoured the woodlands of Akrenbos in search for any kinds of amphibians. The small ponds and streams meandering through the woods create an excellent biotope for newts, frogs and salamanders but it was probably too cold for them to come out from their warm underground.


Maarten was a little disappointed but finding this green pool frog made him all happy again.

1 comment:

gentenaar said...

it has been such a whirlwind of a week for you Jana. I hope everything is much calmer now! Enjoy these lovely spring days = ) Hugs