Thursday, March 1, 2012

The week Maarten turned 7


Recently I told someone I never really get ill. I can have a bad day when I feel that my resistance is slightly lower but usually the next day already I’m as fit as a fiddle again.
Obviously not this time!
Maarten returned from his first camp day with a bad cold and day after something happened to me as well. I had not a cold but an unbearable joint and muscle pain all over and traditionally no fever. I rarely get fever. My body temperature is naturally low so I can feel feverish already at 36.2 °C. Well, I can get a real fever, like back in the 90’s after the pub crawl in Prague I got almost 41, but that’s a different story.


Anyway, we couldn’t celebrate Maartens birthday in Efteling as we planned and I wasn’t even able to join the boys to the local Quick (kind of McDonald) which Maarten loves. I was hoping to be on my best for the family celebration on Saturday but not this time. I was getting worse, but I didn’t have the heart to spoil this event for Maarten.

It was his last birthday in Europe and we don’t even know when he will get the opportunity to celebrate with his family again. Therefore, completely against my principles, I stuffed myself with some miraculous medicine which promised some relieve. I felt truly awful but the medicine delivered a great job and I even enjoyed the hustle and chatting which I thought will be the toughest.
I might be punished for my ignorance to my sick body because after that I got even worse.
Now, ten days further and I’m still physically exhausted and not able to walk, can hardly eat a thing, lost 6 kg already...

I have to ask myself again why do we appreciate our health most and only during illness?
I've had enough of this!

It’s very selfish but I was really thankful seeing Rob returning from the airport on Tuesday morning when they didn’t allow him to depart for England only with his Belgian ID, as his passport holds the Angolan embassy! Not sure how Maarten and I will survive those 3 days Rob was supposed to work in London.

Ending on a cheerful note... Guess what?! 5 days after his 7th birthday Maarten finally lost his first tooth!

No comments: