The twisting road of the Big Sur coast lulled Rob and Maarten to sleep. As the road finally straightens I hope to see the Hearst Castle, the destination of this weekend trip. I know this is going to be different but I’m excited the same way I’ve used to be long time ago by spotting castles in Czech.
And there it is on top of one of the sunny hills on my left! It fits beautifully with the landscape.
We will see more tomorrow.
The camping is less impressive. We still have a nice secluded site and hope we can enjoy couple of nice days here. The walk to the beach is short but we have to go under the busy highway. The sites next to the highway are exposed to a loud noise of the passing cars. We are lucky to be more inlands even we still can hear it.
Maarten is so happy to be on the beach again. The water is cooler than I’ve expected. There is a huge flock of seagulls, pelicans, crows and other kinds of birds on the beach and around the San Simeon Creek. Maarten is scared of crows but the birds are too tempting to run after.
Friday August 24th
This is the first night I’m not freezing. Yes, I’ve finally bought a new sleeping bag and it really makes a difference. I can’t believe it but it’s keeping me nice and toasty…. till three o’clock! Why so early? Ask our neighbors!
Anyway they are leaving so we have a good hope!
Today we have a reservation at the Hearst Castle. We have to park our car at the visitor center and take the bus to get to the castle on the top of the hill. The curly five mile drive through the Hearst Ranch is a pleasant trip. I love the 20’s music they play on the bus. While traveling we see the animal shelters of the past private ZOO and the remains of the mile long pergola which was built for a walking path.
We are doing the Garden Tour not just because of my interests in gardening but especially because of Maarten ;-) He is most impressed by the bus ride of course. And we had hard time to keep him away from the Hearst’s two swimming pools:
Neptune Pool
and Roman Pool.
We still visit some indoors like the guest house Casa del Mar.
This cozy residence with a stunning view of the hills and ocean is built and furnished like being this way for ages.
I was warned to see an American kitsch and arrogance of a rich man who collected antique European objects to build his American dream.
I can't agree! I find the Hearst family story very fascinating and can’t think of the castle in any negative way.
On the contrary I would hardly recommend visiting it.
Too bad Hearst couldn’t bring his dream to an end. But that’s the part of the whole story...
Saturday August 25th
Another night I couldn’t fully enjoy my warm sleeping bag. We are thinking of going home since the camping reminds us rather a roomy parking lot than a nature setting. We decide to stay and try to enjoy the nice coast anyway. We hike from the Leffingwell Landing to the Moonstone Beach. It is too warm for hiking today but this is an easy stroll. A lot of tourists are watching the surfers waiting for perfect waves.
We see some seals at the cliffs and turkey vultures who don’t want to share their prey with seagulls.
This evening we get new neighbors. A group of surfers and they are ready for the party!
Even the ear plugs are not working properly. What a nightmare!
Sunday August 26th
Passing the Hearst Ranch on our way home I spot a coyote wandering near the highway and we see a herd of grazing zebra’s, the descendants of those from the Hearst Castle Zoo.
We make a stop at the Piedras Blancas to watch the elephant seals and sea lions rookery. Here you can’t come so close like at the Año Nuevo SP but considering the mass tourism here it is better to keep the tourists at a safe distance.
We are looking for signs not to miss the cliffs of Jade Cove. We park at the Jade Cove Beach hoping this is it. I take the path descending down the picnic area to check it out. It is very steep and treacherous at certain places so I’m happy Rob is waiting up there with Maarten.
I can’t find much of jade but a rocky beach. I believe this beautiful spot is already a treasure. Rob and Maarten don't come even to the lookout above the cove. I wonder why. They have a better show.

There is a huge rattlesnake under the stairs leading down from the parking lot! I believe he was already there when I went down. I just stepped over it.
No comments:
Post a Comment