Sunday, January 27, 2008

'Luck of the Pot’ at Lee's


I’ve heard about potlucks before but yesterday was actually the very first time I went to one.

I wondered about the origin of the word 'potluck' since we also use a similar word in Czech, 'potlach'.
As I remember in Czech 'potlach' means a kind of tramping celebration, an evening of a good time (and a nice chat) with friends often around the campfire.
On the other hand I remember my first stay in Holland when a friend of mine organized an American Party. According to him this means everyone needs to bring his own alcohol ;-)
It looks like there is some reason why he calls 'bringing your own alcohol' to be an American Party way since I understand that the roots of the 'potlatch' (literally translated as ‘giving’) are indeed a Native American custom dating back to the 16th century. Then it used to be a complete ceremony of traditions, spirituality and also a conspicuous consumption of food.

Though some historians suggest that the true origin of 'potlatch' lies already in Medieval Europe! The etymology of the word 'potlatch' would originate from the ‘luck of the pot’. The meal leftovers were put into a pot, kept warm and were used to feed the poor.

No matter what origin this practice may have the present-day Americans adopted this custom which evolved into a meaning of bringing dishes to share and having a nice time together.

Last night we were a part of such a potluck.

It was a nice opportunity to meet all of Rob’s (expatriate) colleagues and their wive’s and children. Though there were no (Native) Americans, people from all kinds of places around the world joined the party.

The host asked all of us to bring one or two meals.
If invited to an international potluck what dish would you bring?
Of course something of your own traditional dishes! And I guess no one disliked any of the fine food we shared.

No comments: