Thursday, May 3, 2012

First days

My first days here in the compound were no sorrows, neither fun rather boring. I had a car and a driver but where should I go. I’m more interested in the local life than in the expats-proof locations but should I risk going out on my own already? If only I could get on line! But internet can be very challenging here in Angola! Sad to say, but without the internet I’m pretty much lost. One day at the pool we met a very nice couple who are coincidentally moving back to the States. They were so kind to give us their internet device (don’t ask me how this white little box is officially called). We only had to buy a monthly card and for 80 $ we are on line again! At last I could do some research and contact local charities as I’m in desperate need of doing something outside the house. That’s how I got in touch with certain Shannon who invited me to a meeting of local expats. I initially thought, ooh no, this is nothing for me. I’m usually not into those expats coffee mornings. But this meeting was all about charities. There were many vendors representing local orphanages selling goods made by the children and as I was looking at the colorful stands I found myself meeting more and more nice ladies from all over the world. At last I came home with a bunch of phone numbers and (email) addresses and also with a whole list of charities and their needs.

No comments: