Thursday, May 10, 2012

Trip to the Ilha do Cabo

Today I went to the Ilha for the first time. This 8 km long peninsula surrounds the Bay of Luanda. With its wide beaches this is the main recreational area of the city and also the place to be for Luanda’s nicest nightclubs and restaurants. I didn’t come here for lunch but for my first board meeting of the international club which was held at one of the member’s home. Miraculously, this morning there was not the usual bad traffic and I had some spare time to drive to the very point of the peninsula. I took a little stroll along the beaches. On the heaps of reeking garbage and human waste you could see there was often a lot going on. Mateus, our second driver, told me he also goes there to party during the weekend. He also told me that is pretty safe to walk there, however, my guide book says otherwise. PS: Those pictures are mostly taken from the car window. Out of respect for the locals, I'm still not quite comfortable with taking candid pictures of people on the street.

No comments: