Thursday, May 3, 2012

More pets

There are many lizards outside but also inside the house. Those inside are tiny and I don’t mind as long I don’t step on them as they often rest on the floor in the bathroom. Outside you can spot quite big ones some 30 cm long and I won’t be happy at all to find them in the house.
There are centipedes in the house, different kinds of beetles and of course thousands of ants. According to our neighbors there are also monkeys coming into our compound but, luckily, we haven’t seen them yet. Maarten obviously adores his new surrounding, well, except the house then. He is obsessed not only by all those little animals but also by the enormous exotic plants and especially their seeds. As always I’m concerned about his fearless approach to everything what’s alive. He wants to touch, hold and pet everything what’s moving and that’s definitely not safe.
Today he brought home big dry pods full of hard brown seeds and that’s probably how this little snake (?) got inside our house. I found him on the floor while cooking dinner. We picked him to release into our backyard but Maarten was furious. He wanted to keep him in his room shouting to us why he is never allowed to have a pet.
PS: This toad lives in the shed in our back yard together with other toad mummies. By the way, did you know that toad if you pick him up will try to scare you away by peeing on you? It was really grose!

4 comments:

gentenaar said...

Dear Jana
I can finally read all your entries today. They are so delightful and so full of colourful information too! Both Brecht and Nora were impressed with the number of pets you already have ; ) Hope everything else is falling into their place smoothly = ) I shall return for more! Take care and have a good week ahead.

Greetings from a cloudy & cold Gent, Mush

Jana said...

Thank you, dear Mush,
Hope the sun makes his way to Gent soon!
Good week to you too!
J.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog via DrieCulturen. This is great! My youngest has had numerous snails, and not the tiny ones. I'm talking about the size of my fist type of snail. She lets them crawl up her arm.

Jana said...

Thanks for stopping by!
your snail experience sounds quite familiar to me ;-)